On January 1, 1942, 91,226 people lived in the district. The population was replenished due to a new wave of special contingents and evacuated citizens. This created additional pressure on the available food resources. In the navigation of 1942, the Germans (1754 people from the Leningrad region) and more than a thousand children were taken out from the besieged Leningrad. The children suffered from dystrophy, were so weak that many could not walk on their own. On the territory of the district, 10 orphanages were formed, the local population, which itself experienced difficulties, provided all possible assistance, and the children were saved.
In 1944, deported Kalmyks (5999 people) arrived in the district. In total, during the period from 1941 to 1944, 20 thousand special contingent people arrived in the district. On January 1, 1945, 101 thousand people were registered in the district.
With the outbreak of war, the life of the population deteriorated. The overwhelming majority of people experienced an acute need for food, medicine, clothing, footwear, and fuel. Many suffered from tuberculosis, scurvy, gastrointestinal and colds.
The provision of food to the population was carried out according to the cards. Supply rates changed periodically. A worker in the fishing industry received on average 500-600 g of bread, a dependent - 300-400 g. Bread was sold by weight.
Fishermen received coupons for sugar, vodka, flour, cereals, tobacco, fats, and manufactured goods. This targeted supply was introduced in April 1942 by order of the People's Commissariat of Trade.
There was also special supplies. It extended to workers of Soviet, party, and economic organizations.